Monday, June 27, 2011

Adam and the Fisher Price Toys





I first discovered Fisher Price toys when my second son, Adam, was a toddler. I think the first one we got was the #987 Creative Coaster. This is a ride-on wagon with a steering wheel and a collection of blocks inside. The steering column also tilted forward so that the toy could be pulled like a wagon. Adam called it the “beep-beep car” because his favorite feature was the horn he could press in the center of the steering wheel which made a beep-beep noise.


As he got a little older, we began acquiring the playsets. Some of the toys we had were the #930 Garage, the #997 Airport, the #994 Camper, and so many more that his room was filled with them.
 
 
 



 

 
Adam wanted the #982 Houseboat set too, but our home was overflowing with toys, so I said, “No, you have enough toys”.  He nagged me about it for months.
When I went to the hospital to deliver my next child, 3 year old Adam stayed with my parents. As soon as baby Matthew was born, I called Adam and said, “I have something for you .. a beautiful new baby brother”. There was a pause, and then he replied, “Oh, okay”...then excitedly... “but Grandma got me the Houseboat”.
 




Note: Adam is now 41 years old, a professional pilot, and the father of two absolutely wonderful children. I think he still has the Houseboat :)

1 comment:

  1. Charming and heartwarming and really why so many people have a fondness for these toys, I think. They are an important part of so many childhoods. Thank you for this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete